American Family Van Lines Moving Checklist
One Month Before Moving Day
- Contact American Family Van Lines for a free moving estimate and book your moving day. If you are planning a move in the summer, you should call movers two months in advance to ensure availability on your desired moving day.
- Order Moving Boxes and Packing Supplies.
- Begin Packing. Clearly label boxes with name, contents, and destination for the box (i.e. “DR” for Dining Room, “MBR” for Master Bedroom).
- Sort, discard, and donate unwanted items.
- Notify the post office.
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other health service providers.
- Notify the human resources and/or payroll department at work.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock, and parking reservations/parking permits for moving day at both current and destination addresses.
Two Weeks Before Moving Day
- Make arrangements for disassembly of specialty items (pianos, swing sets, etc.).
- Make arrangements for child care and/or a pet sitter for moving day.
- Arrange for time off from work to prepare for the move and to be present on moving day.
- Notify your local department of motor vehicles for change of address on your driver’s license.
- Notify the necessary utility companies:
- Cell Phone
- Gas/Oil (also, schedule gas appliances to be disconnected) Cable
- Internet Service Provider
- Home security/alarm
One Week Before Moving Day
- Pack fragile and loose items from drawers into moving boxes.
- Confirm your moving day and time with your moving company. American Family Van Lines move coordinators will contact you 1-3 days prior to the move to ensure that all details are accurate for moving day.
- Complete the high-value inventory form (from the original paperwork sent by your move coordinator) and choose the appropriate valuation (moving insurance) option. We are happy to assist with this process.
- Remove all permanently affixed items that you wish to take from walls and ceilings (drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, etc.).
- Change address with all newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals to which you subscribe.
- Alert friends and family to new address.
One Day Before Moving Day
- Consolidate clearly marked moving boxes of fragile items in one area of your home. Alert the movers about these moving boxes on moving day.
- Identify furniture that is fragile or has been weakened by previous damage and bring it to your mover’s attention on moving day.
- Separate and mark items not intended to be moved by your movers.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash, credit cards, and prescription medications. These should travel with you in your personal vehicle on moving day.
- Defrost, drain, wash, and dry refrigerators and freezers.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers, generators, snow blowers, etc.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill. Your movers will not be able to transport the tank on moving day.
- Clear walkways and driveway during inclement weather.